Pascale’s Rock Crab Salad w/ Shaved Fennel & Avo Vinaigrette
For the Crab
1 Lbs Rock Crab Arms
1/2 Tablespoon of fresh chopped chives
1/2 Lemon cut into 4 wedges
For the Fennel Salad
1 Fennel bulb, cut in half lengthwise and very thinly sliced
Zest of 1/2 lemon
1/2 Tablespoon of fresh dill, finely chopped
1/2 small green apple, cored and very thinly sliced
For the Vinaigrette
2 Tablespoons of Olive Oil
1/2 Tablespoon of Apple Cider Vinegar or Champagne Vinegar
1/2 Avocado, peeled w/ meat scooped out
1/2 Tablespoon lemon juice
Kosher salt and fresh ground pepper
1/2 Tablespoon freshly chopped parsley
* Refer to our cracking recipe to prepare the crab for this recipe.
- Crack and set aside all the meat from your crab arms
- Pour the olive oil into a small bowl and whisk in the vinegar. Add in the avocado meat and mash together with a fork. Add in the lemon juice, salt and pepper and whisk with the fork until well combined. Add more oil if needed to achieve the right consistency.
- Place the ingredients for the fennel salad (fennel, lemon zest, fresh dill, and green apple) in a medium-sized bowl and toss with the vinaigrette. Serve as soon as the salad is tossed.
- To serve, place a spoonful of the fennel salad and avocado vinaigrette in the center of each plate, and then place the crab meat on top. Add a little coarse sea salt and pepper, a sprinkling of freshly chopped chives, a squeeze of fresh lemon juice and serve immediately.
This recipe from Pascale Beale appeared in Edible Santa Barbara’s Spring 2012 issue in the article The Fisherman’s Market. Thank you to Edible Magazine for always focusing on sustainable, local, and delicious producers all around the state and beyond!
2/5 - Easy