Lolipop Claws and Cracking your Rock Crab
1 lbs of Rock Crab Arms
Seafood cracker (Nut cracker, or a mallet will work as well)
A cocktail fork (small fork for picking meat)
- Refer to the video at the top of the pageif you have a hard time with this step
- Separate the claw from the rest of the arm
- One at a time, put the arm sections on a cutting board use the nut cracker to break the shells open. Be sure to be gently, if you squeeze too hard you will end up with a lot of shell in your meat! If you are using a mallet, then cover the arm section with a towel and proceed to use a mallet to gently break the shell.
- Set the shells aside in one bowl, and the meat in the other bowl.
- Repeat step two with the claw sections being careful to gently remove the shell around the claw, leaving a small portion of claw on the meatless tip to use as a cocktail “lollipop” claw.
- If you would rather use the claw meat for a salad or crab cake, then take your cocktail fork and “shred” the meat off the claw section being sure to avoid the membrane in the middle of the claw.
2/5 - Easy